Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Fall Festival

Back when I told you about my son’s school orientation, I forgot to mention that I signed up to organize two class parties for the year. Now, if you know anything about Party Mom, you know she loves to have parties and go to parties. In the case of the recent fall-themed class party, alcohol was obviously not appropriate in this environment (and by “environment” I mean a room full of 2-year-olds). So I compensated by going just a little bit overboard with the party planning.

I was instructed to lead the class in a craft and to provide a snack. I could have cut out pumpkins and decorated them with stickers and leaves. I could have brought oranges and cupcakes and called it a day. But, in normal Party Mom fashion, it didn’t go that way.

I sweated my way through every Party City, Target, and trendy bakery in town. I bought 8 wooden acorns, 8 wooden leaves, 8 mini pumpkins, and 8 mini corns. After that I had to find the PERFECT stickers. I mean these kids are 2 and I didn’t want them drawing all over themselves. So stickers made the most sense. I got stacks and stacks and stacks of stickers. I had gold leaves, red leaves, orange leaves, pumpkins, apples, scare crows, roosters. You name the stickers and I had it. If you were looking for fall stickers for your child, well sorry, but Party Mom bought them out everywhere!!!!

Then there was my presentation. I couldn’t just throw all this crap on the table. I had to find the perfect 8 bags to put everything in. And those bags couldn’t be pink or blue. They had to be a fall color. So I decided to scout out Walgreens. I mean, if hubby were to see another charge from Target or Party City, he would have thought I had seriously lost my mind. So I found the perfect bags to hold everything for each kid. I labeled them with their names. And after sampling 3 different cakes, I finally decided on a delicious cookie cake with orange icing for desert. And don’t worry…Party Mom never forgets drinks! I got each kid their own organic milk and straw (it’s like Cuervo for toddlers).

So the day of the party was great! The kids sat and I gave each of them their bags, which in the end included a washable marker even though I had originally said no to markers. They put the stickers on their pumpkins, acorns, and leaves. But mostly they went on their faces, chairs, and hands. They ate delicious cake and sipped on the fancy organic milk. To me it was a top notch fall festival.

So here’s my advice from this experience. Besides in my case taking a strong dose of Xanax, don’t cheat by doing something boring and easy. Go wild with the kids or any other people you are entertaining. Remember, you are representing your child, so blow it out!!! Overwhelm them with a cool activity and hop them up on sugary treats! To make it easy, think what you or Party Mom would want at your own fall party and change it up to something PG-rated and legal.

Until Next Time,
Party Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment